Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Hunger Games (Book and Movie) Review


So to start off I had broken my personal rule, I had watched a movie before I read the book. But, when watching the movie I was completely enthralled with it. The story in itself is really interesting, and though some people may argue it to be unrealistic, I really don't think so. In fact whose to say something like THG won't happen in the future? It is really crazy.

I do have a few bones to pick with the characters though.

Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire, in the movie and in the book both frustrate me to no end. Remember I didn't have the story to begin with when I saw the movie so I didn't fully realize some of the thoughts going on in her head. I just hated what she was doing to both Gale and Peeta. Also, it seriously took her until  after the games were over to realize that Peeta cared for her?! She is so dense! Other than that I felt her character was well done. The book giving enough personal detail about her history at the right times without making me want to snore

Peeta Mellark, the boy with bread, well let's just say he's already my favorite. He's only slightly annoying with the fact he is so in love with Katniss, and that he doesn't find anything good enough in himself, but his history makes up for that. I just felt incredibly bad for him throughout both the movie and the book the whole world (and Katniss) toying with his emotions. I just have a lot of feelings for that boy okay?

Gale, ugh is all I can say about him, I didn't really get an emotional connection for him neither in the book or the movie. He was just kind of there, the guy that Katniss has a little more history with, and who is her hunting partner. But, he really just seems like a flat character to me.

As for the other characters, I loved Rue, I actually found Prim to be pretty annoying, I loved Haymitch and Effie, and of course I liked Cinna. One bone I have to pick with the movie is that they did cut out a few characters, such as the Avox girl and Madge, also I they did seem to rush things more in the movie. Yet, these things are to be expected they can't include every single detail about the books. I'm just glad they didn't do anything like in Harry Potter when the house elves were excluded from the movies.

One thing I wish would have been explained a little more thoroughly in the movie is the connection of Rue with Katniss, and that Rue reminded Katniss of Prim. I understood it, but I feel like I only did because I am the oldest sibling in my family, having both a little brother and sister. Speaking of which I found all of the interactions with Katniss and Prue absolutely touching, especially in the end.

There were a few things that I liked in the movie that they didn't have in the books. Such as the scene where Katniss thought Peeta ate the Nightlock berries. But, my favorite thing about the movies that wasn't in the books was that in the movies it really showed the Gamemaker's perspective and from the book being in first person that just couldn't be done.

Also can we just take a minute to appreciate the movie cast, Effie, Haymitch, Caeser, and Cinna were all perfect. As were each and every one of the tributes.


The acting was very strong in this movie and the script staid close to the book. Needless to say for a book to movie adaption I am thoroughly impressed.

Then, finally getting to read the book I really enjoyed it as well.
Now I'm off to read Catching Fire. Until next time, may the odd's be ever in your favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment